There are people out there who just can’t take a hint. You talk to them for a little while and once you’ve realised you don’t want to carry on then they just won’t take the hint. So how do you break off the conversation without upsetting them? Here are my suggestions on how to avoid this:
1) Just get up and go. It’s as easy as that. Explain that you would like to get a drink, want to catch up with a friend or simply that you want to speak to a variety of people. Tell them you really enjoyed talking to them and you’ll chat to them again later in the evening.
2) Never accept a drink if you aren’t interested. If you do, you’ll be obliged to stay talking with them for the duration of your drink. It’s better to buy your own drinks and be free to mingle.
3) If you are at a singles event, use a host to help. Tell them if someone won’t leave you alone and we’ll quickly introduce them to a more suitable match.
4) Whatever happens, be polite. You never know who might be watching or who they might be able to connect you with. It’s fine to tell them you aren’t a good match, but do it respectfully and be as friendly as possible.
5) Never dish out personal contact info to anyone you don’t intend to communicate with. It sounds pretty obvious but some people will still send over all their contact info ( or hand out a business card) to anyone and everyone. Don’t give anyone false hope that you will meet up with them again or you mind find they get frustrated and keep trying to get an explanation