How to say hello

Chat up lines get a bad reputation.

So how else do you start a conversation?

Sometimes the simplest and best chat up line is just to go up to someone and say “hello.”   The golden rule is to make sure that you smile warmly.  Smile are contagious and they won’t be able to stop themselves smiling back.   It will make you seem like a genuine, nice person as long as you don’t overdo it.   If you don’t smile you’ll just look miserable and they’ll be on their guard.

You can say hello to anyone, anywhere and it doesn’t have to be someone that you fancy.  Why not practice talking to people you meet during your day.  This can be the postman, waitress, person next to you at the supermarket etc.    It takes a little bit of effort to get out of your comfort zone but the more you do the easier it will become.

Don’t forget to have something ready to ask once they’ve said hello back or you’ll find yourself lost.  So ask them a question about what brings them their, tell them you liked something they were wearing or ask their opinion on a suitable subject.  Another great question is to just ask how their day or evening is going.

Once you start chatting you’ll soon fall into natural conversation, so keep up your happy persona and pay lots of attention to what the other person is saying to you.  As a guide, you should be talking for 30% of the time and listening for the other 70%.   Make sure you don’t ask too many questions or you’ll look like a stalker.

After a few minutes chatting you will know if you want to see them again. So if you do, tell them you really enjoyed meeting them ask what steps you should take to do it again properly.  If they are interested they’ll then offer you their contact information.

Good luck!

James Preece – The Dating Guru

Leave a Reply